Steve Baker - TPC
News • Politics • Writing
Capitol Police Were Sacrificial Pawns on Jan. 6 - (Part 3)
Heroes and Villians are Often the Opposite of Whom Government and Media Lead Us to Believe
post photo preview
US Capitol Police Officers Harry Dunn and Lt. Tarik Johnson (Ret.) (Sources: Oliver Contreras/The New York Times and Ford Fischer)

As I’ve detailed in Part 1 and Part 2 of this series, The United States Capitol Police (USCP) frontline officers were purposefully blindsided by the events of January 6, 2021. Their leadership withheld vital intel, as well as information about the legally permitted events to take place that day on the Capitol lawn. Emerging from that day’s riotous melee were both heroes and villains. 

As we have become painfully aware over the last three years, what is force-fed us by our government officials and their sycophant media sources is far too often the exact opposite of the truth.

This story is yet another such example . . .


(Editorial Note: After I initially published this article, I was contacted by former USCP Lt. Tarik Johnson to make one important clarification to the story. Something which occurred before he rescued the 16 officers from the Capitol Building Rotunda area with the help of two Oath Keepers. He explained that was his second attempt to extract those trapped officers. His first attempt was initiated with the assistance of USCP Civil Disturbance Unit (CDU) officers, but the officers they were attempting to evacuate may not have been able to hear his directions because of the crowd noise in the Rotunda area. It was also during that first rescue attempt that a protestor put the red MAGA hat on his head, which then drew international attention to his story.)


At 2:58 pm on January 6, 2021, USCP officer Lt. Tarik Johnson, having just completed the evacuation of the House of Representatives chamber, radioed the Command Center:

“All right. Sir, I think the House side is totally clear.”

A couple of minutes later, a USCP officer identifying himself as “Unit Motor 13” radioed a distress call:

“We have about half a dozen officers that are trapped between hundreds of people and the Rotunda doors that cannot get out. The crowd is very hostile and we need additional officers here, hardened platoons with munitions to be able to clear these steps. It's an officer safety issue.”

Having received no response for assistance, Motor 13 issued another distress call:

“. . . on the center Rotunda steps we have approximately, maybe 13 officers up here. None of us are in hard gear. We have a few -- we have about a half dozen officers that are trapped between the Rotunda door and the crowd.”

Hearing those messages, Lt. Johnson asked for the operator to patch him direct to Motor 13. Receiving confirmation for his request, Lt. Johnson radioed an instruction to that officer:

“Just walk through the crowd and be friendly and walk out yourself. They’ll probably let you out. And advise the situation as you're walking through and be nice. But they'll probably let you out. Just be nice and walk down the steps.”

This might seem an unusual directive, but Lt. Johnson had been moving back and forth through the growing crowd of protestors inside the Capitol — having successfully initiated the evacuation of both the Senate and House chambers — for almost an hour. Something in his demeanor was allowing him to pass through these protestors without eliciting aggression or impedance, even from the more hostile of those filling up the Capitol Building.

By contrast, during this same period, USCP Officer Harry Dunn was having an opposite experience with protestors. This was despite the fact Dunn was carrying an M4 automatic rifle. At 2:39 pm, he was captured on a DC Metropolitan Police officer’s bodycam, screaming at and threatening protestors in The Crypt:

“You’ll be finished, in one f-cking minute. You’re f-cking hurting us. Get the f-ck out of here. Get the f-ck out of here. You’re hurting us. You’re hurting us.”

Dunn was quickly approached by a USCP captain who put his hand on Dunn’s shoulder, imploring him to calm down.

USCP Captain rushing over to calm down Officer Harry Dunn in the
Crypt room of the US Capitol Building (Source: DC Metro Police bodycam)

In an interview that I recently conducted with another, unnamed USCP officer who has reached out to me with his own J6 story, he shared that officer Dunn was assigned as his Field Training Officer (FTO) when he graduated from the USCP Academy. Part of the training he received from Dunn was in “de-escalation” tactics when dealing with unruly protestors. In that phone interview, I played for the unnamed officer the audio quoted above. The officer responded:

“Wow. That’s the exact opposite behavior for which he trained me.”


After Lt. Johnson’s suggested behavior for Motor 13 and his group, to successfully extract themselves from their tenuous position in the mob, Motor 13 responded:

“I don’t believe that's the situation considering a couple of us have already been pepper sprayed by personnel in the crowd. I don't believe that's the situation right now.”

Beginning to consider how he would take action to rescue these officers who were “trapped” — in Motor 13’s own words — Lt. Johnson radioed:

“Does anyone have a bullhorn that I could use? I need a bullhorn. Any arrest kits anywhere close and I’ll go get it.”

The Operator responds to Lt. Johnson:

“Simulcasting for 405-J, [Lt. Johnson’s call sign] I’ve got 20 ATF and FBI [tactical units] at the speaker’s lobby, where do you want them?”

Lt. Johnson replies: “South barricade, I’ll meet them at the south barricade.”

Operator: “They're already at the center, Speaker's lobby sir.”

Johnson: “Are they in the building already, you said?”

Operator: “They affirm, at Speaker's lobby. 

Johnson:  “Have them meet me at the Senate door, tell them to come back out of the building, we're going to go get the officers on the Rotunda steps.”

Minutes go by with no response from the ATF and FBI tactical units. Lt. Johnson again radios a request for a bullhorn:

“I need a Unit to get me a bullhorn. I need the FBI Unit or whatever responding units to meet me at the Senate door. Right now the demonstrators aren’t . . . protestors they're not hitting anybody, they're not doing anything to harm anybody. I need a bullhorn, I will use those officers and I will walk through the crowd and I will get them myself and we will do so safely. I just need a bullhorn. Can I get any Unit to get me a bullhorn? Bring it outside the Senate door. That's all I need. A bullhorn and those officers.”

At some point during these radio exchanges, Lt. Johnson managed to acquire and don a red Make America Great Again ball cap. As Joe Hanneman of The Epoch Times reported, “Johnson said wearing the MAGA cap made the crowds more receptive to him, provided a level of safety that he likened to a tactical helmet, and served as a de-escalation tool.”

Frustrated that he’s getting no response from the tactical teams, his additional calls for other units, and the bullhorn, Lt. Johnson again takes matters into his own hands. “Again,” because over an hour earlier Johnson had similar frustration when seeking permission from Assistant Chief Yoganada Pittman to evacuate both the Senate and House chambers, receiving no responses. As he told The Epoch Times:

“I begged for help all day on Jan. 6, 2021, and I feel I was largely ignored . . . There was no response from anybody at the Command Center,” Johnson said. “I say even before I initiated evacuation, I say specifically, ‘We’ve got to start thinking about getting the people out before we don’t have a chance to.’ I heard no response. Then I asked for permission to evacuate. I heard no response.”

Lt. Johnson radios:

“Stand by, stand down, stand down. I'm going to go get them. Stand down.”

Motor 13 responds:

“Just be advised, you may also want to know that there's a window up here on the Center Rotunda steps, on the north side of the door, a window that has been breached. And if we leave this area they're going to have free reign to walk into the Capitol from this window.”


“I don't care if they go into the Capitol, they’ve got 1,500 people in the Capitol already. The only thing I'm concerned about is getting the officers off of the stairs. I just need a bullhorn and don't . . . thank you I got a bullhorn.”

At this point, Lt. Johnson goes radio silent and encounters two Oath Keepers, one of whom was retired New York Police Sgt. Michael Nichols. This unfolding scene was famously captured by videographer Rico La Starza.

From Starza’s video, we can hear the exchange in which the two Oath Keepers identify themselves to Johnson, and ask him how they can help. “If you guys can help me save some of the guys. If you can help me get aside these people, I’d appreciate it. I just need to get these other officers out. They’re scared. We’re getting beat up, but the people who didn’t go for help are laughing at us,” Johnson said.

US Capitol Police Lt. Tarik Johnson with Oath Keepers “Steve” (center) and Michael Nichols
outside of Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. (Source: Rico La Starza via The Epoch Times)

Oath Keeper Michael Nichols shows his badge to Johnson and says, “I can do that. I can help,” said Nichols. Johnson then handed Nichols the bullhorn he’d acquired, and Nichols says, “All right, let’s go,” and begins heading toward the east stairs of the Capitol Building. 

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, Johnson says to Nichols, “Just let me hold onto you.” “We’re Here. We’ve Got You,” Nichols responds, as he takes the lead, with Johnson following — holding the hand of Nichols — and the second Oath Keeper taking the rear position with his hand on Johnson’s back.

At 3:11 pm, the trio ascends the steps approaching the east side Columbus doors as one of them announces, “We’re Oath Keepers. Stand aside. Make a hole. We’re Oath Keepers.” The protestors part and allow them to pass.


31 minutes earlier — at 2:40 pm — the now infamous “Stack One” of Oath Keepers had already entered through those historic Columbus doors. Among this particular group of Oath Keepers were those now convicted of a wide range of felony charges in the first of three Oath Keepers trials. 

Included in this stack was Ken Harrelson, who was the first of the Oath Keepers to encounter USCP Officer Harry Dunn, who had just raced to the top of the Rotunda stairs carrying his M4 rifle. Highly distressed, Dunn shouted at Harrelson, “Officers down!”

Harrelson: “Really?”

Harrelson and the other Oath Keepers had not seen or even heard of any violence against law enforcement up to this point. Harrelson had been engaged in a security detail, escorting a group of VIPs from The Ellipse, some of whom were scheduled to speak at a stage on the Capitol grounds. An event that had been legally permitted by the Capitol Police weeks before January 6 . . . before the December 19, 2020 announcement of President Trump’s speech at The Ellipse.

Harrelson’s protectees were led from The Ellipse to the Capitol’s east lawn without incident, navigating thousands of rally attendees who were moving toward the Capitol for the many scheduled speeches and marches to take place that afternoon. They arrived several minutes before protesters began breaching those east-side barricades and running toward the Capitol’s steps. Harrelson, nor any other Oath Keeper participated in that breach, only moving in the direction of the Capitol after police had been ordered to withdraw and those barricades had been removed. 

Even after taking a position on the Capitol steps, waiting for other Oath Keepers to arrive while singing the National Anthem along with the crowd, Harrelson had not witnessed any violence. When he finally moved with the surging throng through the Columbus doors, there was no longer any resistance from the small group of USCP officers at the doorway.

Dunn continued:

“Yes . . . [inaudible] . . . ‘em out on stretchers. They are f-cking us up . . . [inaudible]. 

Oath Keepers Kelly Meggs, Jessica Watkins, and Ken Harrelson (L to R) take a position
between January 6 protestors and USCP Officer Harry Dunn (in back) (Source: Unknown)

Harrelson and three other Oath Keepers immediately took up position between officer Dunn and the more agitated and unruly protestors. They stand side by side, with their backs turned to Dunn, facing the protestors. Publicly available videos capture this crucial event. At one point, Harrelson can be seen using both extended arms to hold back protestors from Dunn’s position at the top of the staircase. Several eyewitness accounts attest to the fact this small group of Oath Keepers de-escalated an extremely volatile situation, as some of those protesters being kept from Dunn were taunting him, calling him a variety of names.

One protestor shouted at Dunn, “You’re a bully. You’re a bully with a badge!” Others can be heard chanting, “Oathbreaker! Oathbreaker.”

Keeping those more hostile elements of the crowd away from Dunn probably saved lives, as the highly-distressed officer was near a breaking point. Within only a few minutes, hard unit officers arrived at the top of the staircase and led Dunn away.

Oath Keeper Ken Harrelson holds back unruly protestors, keeping them away
from USCP Officer Harry Dunn (Source: Stephen Horn)

There was one word not heard or captured on video being chanted by any of those protestors. The “N-word.”

In Officer Dunn’s many press interviews, in his FBI interviews, and in his testimony before the January 6 House Select Committee, Dunn often repeated the claim that he had been called the N-word by many protestors. There were multiple variations of the same story he repeated, but in a podcast interview by The New York Times reporter, Michael Barbaro, Dunn explained:

“I can’t fight nobody else. I can’t. I’m tired. And it’s like 30, or 40, 50 people. I can’t fight y’all. Let’s talk, man. So they started talking about how Joe Biden didn’t win the election . . . And I said I voted for Joe Biden. Does my vote not count?

“And then — and then that’s when the girl said, ‘You hear that? This n-word voted for Joe Biden, guys.’ And then the whole 20, 30, 40, 50 people that were there said, ‘this n-word voted for Joe Biden. Boo!’”

Except, in what was probably the most recorded event in human history, with at least one out of three protestors holding their cell phone cameras aloft, there has been no video or audio evidence presented that this racist, N-word chant ever took place on January 6.

In one of my face-to-face meetings with Lt. Tarik Johnson, he was accompanied by another, now-retired USCP officer. (Dunn, Johnson, and this unnamed officer are all black men.) I asked the two about that story Officer Dunn had repeated so many times.

The unnamed officer stopped me, “Are you asking me if anyone called Dunn a n-gger that day?”


“Never happened,” he resolutely responded.

Another story by The New York Times related how many USCP officers were not thrilled with Dunn constantly sharing the N-word story in his many press interviews. “To some, when Dunn talked about the racism he endured on Jan. 6, he made it sound as if it was ‘all about race.’”

During my interview with the unnamed USCP officer first mentioned in this story, he went into further detail about his relationship with Dunn during the 12 weeks in which Dunn was his FTO. Dunn “seemed like a good guy, very professional, and down to earth,” but “he always had a way of bringing racism or black culture into conversations.”

This officer went on to tell me, “We lost our relationship after January 6. He [Dunn] even deleted me from social media. That is the general feeling throughout the force.”

Another telling revelation in my interview with this unnamed USCP officer was the fact he also had a rather low opinion of Lt. Johnson, despite that they don’t personally know one another. This comes from the fact that two officers in his unit were part of the 16 rescued by Johnson and the two Oath Keepers. They had relayed to this officer that Johnson had unnecessarily “endangered them” by escorting them through the crowd of protesters. According to this officer, his unit members did not feel “trapped” or “unsafe” in their location near the Rotunda doors.

What those two "rescued" officers had never heard, though, was the radio transmission from Motor 13 to Lt. Johnson:

“We have about half a dozen officers that are trapped between hundreds of people and the Rotunda doors that cannot get out. The crowd is very hostile and we need additional officers here, hardened platoons with munitions to be able to clear these steps. It's an officer safety issue.”

I read to this officer the transcript from that radio transmission and he responded:

“Wow. That language changes everything I previously thought.”

(Facts have a way of doing that.)


Only a few moments after Lt. Johnson and the two Oath Keepers entered the east Columbus doors, Michael Nichols can be seen and heard in the video using the bullhorn to command the crowd, “Make a hole. Make a hole.”

The protestors who were packed outside the doorway began to relay the message, “Make a hole. Make a Hole. The cops are leaving. Make a hole.”

Nichols exited first, immediately followed by Johnson and 16 USCP officers. 15 of whom were wearing riot gear. It was an odd sight, seeing hard gear units leaving the interior of the Capitol, rather than staying inside to defend the building. But, a distress call had been sent:

“Officers . . . trapped . . . the crowd is very hostile . . . it’s an officer safety issue.”

Once again, Lt. Johnson had responded accordingly — to the call as it was issued — and void of assistance from ATF and FBI tactical units, or other USCP units. He initiated the rescue of those 16 officers from what he knew to be a dangerous situation, as described to him over the USCP radio channel.

Stunningly, in return for Johnson’s initiative and bravery in the chaos of the moment, and in response to panic calls on their radio comms, he was suspended from the USCP the very next day for “conduct unbecoming.” 

Was it the red MAGA hat he donned to more easily pass through the pro-Trump crowd? Was it the fact he recruited two Oath Keepers for assistance in the rescue? Johnson believes . . . and I quote . . . “They had no choice but to suspend me.”

USCP Officer Tarik Johnson and Oath Keeper Michael Nichols lead trapped USCP officers
out of Capitol Building on January 6. (Source: 
Christopher Morris / VII / Redux)


The more complete story of his 17-month suspension and demotion from lieutenant to private is found in the aforementioned story from The Epoch Times. (I worked with Joe Hanneman for several weeks on that story, but his editors stuck to their strict policy of not granting a contributing byline to non-employees of ET.)

In that article, Lt. Johnson explains the suspension was part of a concerted effort by USCP leadership to silence him for having embarrassed then Assistant Chief Yogananda Pittman for her lack of leadership throughout the entire day of January 6. You can also review Part 1 and Part 2 of this series, as well as my tweetstorm roll-out about Pittman for more detailed information about her lack of action on January 6.

There is a stark difference between the official USCP and mainstream media narratives regarding Lt. Tarik Johnson and Officer Harry Dunn:

Irrefutable evidence of Johnson’s heroism and calm under fire is replete throughout the record of the day. His early attempts at organizing decontamination and triage areas for his chemically-attacked and otherwise injured officers; his rescue of the late Senate Sergeant-ot-Arms Michael Stenger; his having initiated the evacuation of both the Senate and House chambers; and the widely-publicized rescue of the trapped officers from the Rotunda area. All of this was done, despite having received no response or assistance from Assistant Chief Pittman or others in the USCP Command Center. And after making repeated pleas for assistance, direction, and permission for his actions taken.

Officer Dunn — by contrast — publicly exhibited a breakdown in his training, contentiously berating protestors, and displaying highly distressed, erratic behavior. Even when claiming he made effort to de-escalate tensions, Dunn instead recounted a racially-charged event by up to 50 protestors — for which there is no evidence — and about which many of his fellow officers do not believe occurred. Dunn also altered his testimony between two different FBI interviews. The first of which corroborated video evidence of Oath Keepers protecting him from aggressive protestors, and the second a total reversal, in which he then claimed his encounter with the Oath Keepers was instead contentious. 

(This writer has seen the unreleased video and read both FBI “302” documents. All these are still “under seal” by the Dept. of Justice and USCP leadership, which once released — in my opinion — will show that Dunn perjured himself while under oath before the House Select Committee and in the first Oath Keepers trial.

Quote from USCP Officer Harry Dunn's May 18, 2021, FBI interview about assistance
he received from the Oath Keepers on January 6.

It is also my opinion that Dunn was brought in for his second FBI interview — in August of 2021 — specifically to change the Oath Keeper story he’d presented during his first FBI interview — in May of 2021. There is no apparent reason for that second interview to have been conducted, except to change that specific account. I believe this had to be done in preparation for the government’s prosecution of the Oath Keepers. Dunn’s original version was incredibly damaging to the narrative the government was then building, as they sought to present the Oath Keepers as the ultimate scapegoats for what took place on January 6.)

Despite Lt. Johnson’s heroic behavior on January 6, he was suspended from the force for 17 months, demoted in rank, then subjected to a lengthy, career and reputation-crushing investigation to cover up USCP command failures and malfeasance. During his suspension, he was not allowed to leave his home during the hours of 8 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday, for the entire duration. Johnson was also denied mental health counseling services, provided by the USCP. He believes they were trying to force him to commit suicide. (He did receive counseling, but he was forced to pay for those therapy sessions himself.)

By contrast, Officer Dunn was elevated to the status of a national hero, receiving special permission from the USCP to give interviews to multiple mainstream media outlets. He received a book deal from Hatchett Books. (Standing My Ground - A Capitol Police Officer's Fight for Accountability and Good Trouble, is now available.) Dunn has received a Congressional Gold Medal and on the second anniversary of January 6, President Biden awarded him the Presidential Citizens Medal. While Dunn has become an outspoken advocate for increased USCP mental health care services, one might readily assume his ongoing counseling and therapies have been and are being covered by the department.

USCP Officer Harry Dunn with President Biden at
Presidential Citizens Medal Ceremony (Source: White House)

(One final editorial note:

In the first Oath Keepers trial, Judge Amit Mehta aggressively acted to block the defense teams from presenting evidence of Dunn’s conflicting FBI 302s and the video evidence of Johnson’s rescue event utilizing the assistance of those two Oath Keepers. Mehta allowed the government prosecutors to present multiple prejudical videos of violence, barricade breaches, and Capitol Building breaches for which the Oath Keepers took no part, and weren’t even present . . . or even on the Capitol property at the time. 

Mehta then purposefully blocked video presentations and testimony of actions on January 6, which portrayed Oath Keepers in the more favorable reputation they had developed and earned in their 13-year history. As an organization dedicated to supporting law enforcement, there were numerous examples of such behavior on their part, that day. 

In that trial, the jury was denied the opportunity to see and hear exculpatory evidence and testimony about those two most important events.)


Rico La Starza's video of USCP Officer Tarik Johnson and two Oath Keepers rescuing 16 trapped police officers from the Capitol Building on January 6:

Rico La Starza's video


Capitol Police Were Sacrificial Pawns on Jan. 6 - (Part 1)

Capitol Police Were Sacrificial Pawns on Jan. 6 - (Part 2)

community logo
Join the Steve Baker - TPC Community
To read more articles like this, sign up and join my community today
What else you may like…
Bongino Says He Loves Me

I got a shoutout from Dan Bongino yesterday. 😄

Locals Exclusive Video Message

Hello All!

I just need 8 minutes of your time to tell you about my doings in DC next week. Please check out the attached video.

Thank you!!


A one-time donation here on Locals:

PayPal is the easiest and quickest:

Or, for larger contributions for which you need a tax-deductible receipt, mail a check payable to: "FormerFedsGroup Freedom Foundation" - and send it to:

Steve Baker
3903 Carpenter Pond Road
Durham, NC 27703

The Left Have Lost Their Minds Today

But even NC's GOP Sen. Tillis called Tucker's story last night, "Bullsh-t."

This short video shows how successfully pervasive was the #Jan6 disinformation narrative. From my appearance on Good Morning Britain, last year:

“The building is now pretty much back to normal. You can’t see any scratches or bullet marks.” -Lorna Shaddick (GMB)

Bullet marks? 🙄

If GOP lawmakers are also so brain-damaged by the left's successful propaganda, you know a DC jury has no chance of rendering a fair and impartial verdict for J6 defendants.

(BTW . . . A 15-minute interview cut down to less than 15 seconds. Not much allowance for context. Ha!)

TNN Live This Morning

This was an interesting - and primarily non-J6-related - discussion with Dan Newman this morning. We spent quite a bit of time discussing this new "weaponization of rape as a tool of war" in the Hamas/Israel conflict. We also cover a couple of other things, including a teaser of something else I'm going to be looking at in my upcoming visit to the Capitol CCTV viewing room.

TNN Live This Morning
TNN Live Today, w/ Dan Newman

Dan and I spent quite a bit of time today discussing the coming 'Big Story," as well as the recent Stephen Horn case and conviction.

TNN Live Today, w/ Dan Newman
This Morning on TNN Live!

If you haven't noticed, this is a pretty big news day, and Dan and I get into a lot of it. Definitely worth a listen. I especially express my frustrations with the do-nothing GOP, when so much CAN be done right now, about so MUCH that is going on.

This Morning on TNN Live!
Off The Record . . . This Friday

I'll be back on BlazeTV's "Off the Record" again this Friday at 2:30 pm-ET. It's a live, "no questions barred" open forum chat between me and the viewers. It is an exclusive for BlazeTV subscribers, so if you don't yet have a subscription, you can use the following link for a discount:

While you can get a subscription for the ad-free experience at for as little as $3 per month (less than one Starbucks per month), the BlazeTV subscription also includes

I'm also going to do another live chat here on Locals ... soon. It's been too long.

post photo preview
Dune - Part 2

I've obsessed over the new Dune-Pt.2 movie adaptation. Both Villeneuve (2024) and Lynch (1984) got the conclusion horribly wrong. This screenshot is from an alternate Dune/1984 ending that hit the cutting room floor. It should have been included. Both directors - whom I otherwise love - totally f**cked this up.

From the book:

"Think on it, Chani: the princess will have the name, yet she'll live as less than a concubine - never to know a moment of tenderness from the man to whom she's bound. While we, Chani, we who carry the name of concubine - history will call us wives.”

At least Lynch shot the scene. Did Villeneuve?

(If you know, you know.)

Fan cut of the '84 adaptation, with the proper ending:

post photo preview
No good deed …

How I tried to help an already convicted January 6 defendant, only to be falsely accused of burying alleged exculpatory video evidence.

My latest @theblaze.

post photo preview
Bull City Syndicate - 23 Years, and Done
New beginnings and the end of an era as I retire my bands

On December 8, 2023, Bull City Syndicate (BCS) played its final show. We went out with a bang, performing a top-shelf corporate holiday event to 700 enthusiastic attendees. Appropriately, in the city of the band’s birth — Durham, NC — The Bull City. I considered booking a final public show, but after much thought, I decided to retire the band in a more low-key, less public manner. 

In November of 2000, I answered an ad from an established local band then known as Soul Kitchen & The Bull City Horns. (SK) I’d spent a year getting my trumpet chops back into shape after a decade in the music business, managing other artists. I did not intend to do anything in SK other than return to my first love: just playing the trumpet. I didn’t want to manage the band and certainly had no interest in ownership. I just wanted to play again. Money didn’t matter. And in those days, even as one of the premier club bands in the Raleigh/Durham market, my share of earnings from a 9-piece horn band rarely covered my bar tab.

For many months after joining Soul Kitchen, I managed to avoid being involved in the business of the band. When asked by band members what I did for a living, I always lied and gave them a different story each time. (I remember once telling them I was in the CIA. Ha!) Finally, after a Sunday night rehearsal, drinking and smoking on the back deck of our original drummer’s house (Dave Wilkins), Dave suddenly demanded, “Baker. What the f—k do you do for a living?”

“You really want to know?”


“I manage bands for a living.”

“WHAT!? Why don’t you manage this band?”

“I don’t want to. I just want to play trumpet.”

At the next week’s rehearsal, Dave handed me a manilla folder that represented the totality of the band’s “business.”

“You’re in charge now,” said Dave. 


Bull City Syndicate opening for Eddie Money in 2008

From that point forward, things began to change quickly for SK. First began a radical updating of our set list designed to draw more people to our shows and more dollars for the band. I began to pursue more private events and larger public shows. Some of the original band members were not happy about the extra demands and work required to make the move from a fun club band to a serious special event band, and we began to replace members. With the band growing in popularity, we were able to attract even more versatile and better-trained musicians. We went from being a really good band to a great "horn band," packing out every live performance and fielding requests for those higher-paying private events.

We then began to spin off a few side projects. The first of those was our pop-jazz 4-piece called Cafe Mars. Then, in 2006, we launched an aggressive recording project led by award-winning local producer John Custer. After six months in the studio, “You Make Me Feel” was released in 2007. An album paying tribute to North Carolina songwriters, and for which I’m really proud of the final product. Especially the original tunes written for the album by Custer himself. It was because of that album that Soul Kitchen & The Bull City Horns became Bull City Syndicate. (There were 17 other bands named Soul Kitchen at the time, and with an album containing original music, we didn’t want to deal with any trademark issues.)

Durham Herald Sun Magazine feature in 2008

When the economy began to tank in the summer of 2008 and into 2009, so many local music venues didn’t survive or cut their live music budgets drastically, and private event buyers were forced to hire smaller bands and DJs. Bull City Syndicate made the decision to add a female lead singer to the line-up — as that was a requirement of so many private event and wedding buyers. Our 9-piece “all dude” band became a 10-piece outfit, and the additional female lead remained a feature of the band for its remaining years.

Anyone managing a 10-piece band knows that turnover is going to happen — even when there’s no drama or interpersonal issues. People move away, change jobs, etc. Life happens. But, somewhere around 2010, there was a particular tumult that caused five of our members to leave, and suddenly, with no remaining original members, Bull City Syndicate became “my” band. We were able to fill the missing spots quickly, and the band really took off. No longer led by a “committee,” I was able to take the band to the next level, particularly as a private event and festival band.

Bull City Syndicate Christmas show in Raleigh, NC - 2016

There were many highlights through my time with both incarnations of the band: SK and BCS. My very first gig with SK was an opening date for Kool & The Gang. Our last such brush with greatness was when Dolly Parton joined us onstage performing her classic hit, “Jolene.”

We were honored to be the headlining entertainment for the last two NC Governor’s Inaugural Balls. We performed for some of the largest companies and charities in America: SAS, Glaxo, AT&T, American Heart Association, and too many others to list. We traveled throughout the Mid-Atlantic region for shows — as far north as Maryland and even down to Florida.

Our first spin-off, Cafe Mars, eventually became a 6-piece version of the band called BCS Express. Then, 10 years ago, we added a “yacht rock” version of the band called Captain & The Keels. (C&K) The same line-up as BCS, doing the smooth rock hits from ’75 to ’85, with appropriate foolish costumes.

Captain & The Keels in Hampton, VA - 2016

In 2018 came my most fun spin-off. A David Bowie Tribute act called The American Bowie Experience. (ABX) With that group, we moved our bassist, Randy Ines, over to keys (because of his virtuoso piano chops), and brought my son Duncan in on bass guitar. (Bowie’s son is also named Duncan. Just a coincidence.) Despite the growing popularity and demand for ABX, that band didn’t survive the COVID-19 pandemic after a year and a half of lockdowns. It was everything I could do just to get BCS back to work.

American Bowie Experience at House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, SC - 2019

The aftermath of the pandemic was the beginning of the end for BCS. My life began to change drastically. For more than 25 years I’d been a hobbyist political writer and commentator. My writing chops began to take shape in the early days of the Internet. AOL, Compuserve, and Prodigy eventually became MySpace. MySpace became Facebook, where my online following really began to take off. 

In early 2020 — long after the four versions of the band had become my full-time job and main source of income — “Two Weeks to Flatten the Curve” became two months of COVID lockdowns, and none of the band projects were allowed to do live performances. It was then that I decided to monetize my writing “hobby,” moving that to the captain’s seat of my endeavors and BCS and its spinoffs to the co-pilot’s seat. By 2022 and into 2023, my journalistic efforts were being rewarded with significant media attention, and my travels were keeping me away from the band and its needs with increasing frequency. 

In the summer of 2023, I was approached by Dallas-based Blaze Media to become a contributing writer. I was now splitting most of my time between D.C. and Dallas, and the bands’ bookings were suffering. With that came the hard decision that ultimately led me to retire from the BCS and C&K brands, make the total life transition and reinvention to a full-time writer and investigative journalist for The Blaze.

An appearance on The Glenn Beck Show in 2023

I’ve been doing music in one form or the other for over 50 years. At 19 years old, I was traveling the world playing trumpet. In the 80s, I was working for churches doing music and promoting contemporary Christian music concerts with the biggest names in that industry. Into the 90s, I became manager to national acts touring around the world — which caused me to put my horns in the closet for about 10 years. By 1999, I just wanted to play music again, and I answered that ad to join Soul Kitchen & The Bull City Horns.

Obviously, this telling is the very short version of that 23-year experience, and what became such a significant part of my life. There were hard times and bad times, but mostly wonderful times with all the guys and gals I was honored to perform with. We played for near-empty rooms and for as many as 40,000 at festivals. We shared the stage with famous artists and many of the best local musicians and bands. I will always cherish every moment.

BCS Express in Cary, NC - 2013

I want to express my heartfelt thanks and admiration to all the fantastic musicians who made those 23 years unforgettable. And to the fans who continued to show up for our infrequent club shows in the last couple of years. Many who’d been coming to see us for over 20 years!

At our final Durham show on December 8, I stepped off the stage a few times just to watch and soak it in. After the last song, and when we began the final tear-down and load-out of the gear, one of the guys said to me, “You know you’re going to miss this.”

Yes . . . I am.

Read full Article
post photo preview
A Brief Summary of My Personal January 6 Story Timeline (Then ’til Now)
Mainly For Newer Followers, Not Yet Up-to-Speed on My Work

A more detailed account of my day on January 6, 2021, can be found here:


-On Dec. 21, 2020 — two days after Trump announced his own "wild" J6 rally at The Ellipse in D.C. — I posted this announcement to my social media accounts:

“Regardless of how you feel about the election results, this might be a spectacle worth observing up close and personal. (I'm predisposed to believe this crowd will not riot, loot, and burn the city.) I might begin my northeast run on this date, in DC. Anyone else going? #tpcroadtrip2021”

Well . . . they didn't "burn the city."


-In my email newsletter that went out on January 4, 2021, I made the following comment:

“I am headed to DC on Wednesday. Why? Not because I think a crowd of any size is going to force government into a real investigation of the election results, but because the “powers that be” on all sides of the political equation need to see WE THE PEOPLE in force, letting them know that WE ARE WATCHING. WE are engaged! WE are not going to lay down to any level of tyranny — whether it comes from the right or the left, the Democrats or the GOP. I’m also hoping to document on video anything “special” that might happen, and perhaps get a few interviews from a variety of voices.”

-By “special” . . . it was rumored there would be some big announcement on the election controversy, (a release of The Kraken, maybe), about which I hoped to get comments from members of the crowd. There was nothing special announced from the stage, by Trump or any of the others. The “special” came later . . . unexpectedly.


-I arrived at the Washington Monument at about 9:30 am on January 6, and spent the next three hours watching the crowd grow to an enormous size — documenting it on video.

-Trump took the stage almost an hour later than announced, at 11:57 pm. His “warm-up” acts were ‘meh,’ and his speech was equally ‘meh.’ Because of the cold, windy conditions, the poor audio, and wanting to get ahead of the throng that was scheduled to march on the Capitol for the other events, I left the Washington Monument lawn about halfway through Trump’s speech and began a brisk walk toward the Capitol Building . . . along with thousands of others already peeling off from Trump's speech.

-I arrived at the Reflection Pool on the west side of the Capitol at about 1:15 pm, where I was hearing police sirens and what sounded like explosions. From there, I could see smoke and the arrival of DC Metro PD (MPD) units pouring down the steps toward the west terrace. I made the decision to sprint up to the terrace, where I turned on my camera at 1:19 pm, and for almost an hour filmed the violence and surging crowds in that area.

-Just after 2:00 pm I began to notice signs of Capitol Police (USCP) withdrawal. Shortly thereafter, there was a sudden surge of protestors up the stairs underneath the scaffolding on the northwest side of the terrace. Hundreds of protestors were now in unrestricted movement up those stairs, so I followed.

-At approximately 2:21 pm I followed hundreds of protestors through what some call the “Senate Wing door.” This, I would later learn, was the site of the first breach of the building. I did not see the breach, as it occurred at approximately 2:13 pm, while I was still on the lower terrace.

-For almost 40 minutes I captured scenes inside the Capitol Building, before exiting at about 2:59 pm, at the exact location where FBI tactical unit medics were trying to save Ashli Babbit’s life. Just over one minute after I exited through the South door, I filmed Babbitt’s extraction through that doorway, while the D.C. Fire EMT crew still worked feverishly on her lifeless body.

Screenshot from my video - January 6, 2021 - of Ashli Babbitt being evacuated from
the Capitol Building by D.C. Fire Department emergency medical techs.

-Shortly thereafter, I gave a couple of interviews to local media, found a restroom and a sandwich, then returned to the Capitol to witness the arrival of the Army and Air Force National Guards finalize the clearing of the entire Capitol grounds. I then returned to my hotel in Arlington sometime after 7:30 pm.


-For the next five days I began frame by frame review of my videos, and then started writing my first story about the event, which was posted on January 13, 2021:

-On February 24, 2021, I published my second story about J6:

-As I’ve pointed out many times, I got a few things wrong in my earliest analyses. I’ve tried to correct those over the following months and years as new evidence has presented itself. But, those two articles remain as written — errors included.


-Because I engaged in no violence, property damage, chanting, singing, carried no flags, and wore no political messages on my clothing . . . as the months wore on I began to think maybe I was going to have the same respect as so many other journalists who were not being rounded up in the J6 dragnet. But, on the morning of July 22, 2021, I received a phone call from FBI Special Agent Gerrit Doss. After he asked me for a voluntary interview, I immediately turned that over to my local attorney, and they worked together with all our schedules to arrange a date for the interview.

-The first attempt at scheduling the FBI interview was aborted on-site, on the morning of August 5, 2021. The reason given — after my attorney and I had already arrived at their Cary, NC filed office — was that they could not interview me, “because of my press status,” until after they received a letter of approval from the U.S. Attorney General’s office.

-My attorney worked with an assistant USAG, they negotiated a proffer agreement for the interview, and it was rescheduled for October 18, 2021. I was interviewed for two full hours, under the agreement that nothing I said in the interview could be used against me — should charges be made against me — in court . . . unless I perjured myself. (That didn’t happen.)

-On November 17, 2021, my attorney received an email from Assistant U.S. Attorney Anita Eve — out of Philadelphia — stating, “Your client will be charged within the week.”

-On Monday morning of Thanksgiving week — November 22, 2021 — we sent out approximately 200 press releases to all manner of media sources, stating that I — an independent journalist — was about to be prosecuted for nothing more than the act of “journalism” on January 6.

-At approximately 1:00 pm that same day, AUSA Eve sent my attorney a copy of that press release, stating, “We’re not happy about this.” He responded, asking, “Are you saying my client should forego his 1st Amendment right because he is being persecuted by the federal government?" There were a couple of other exchanges between my attorney and the AUSA before she went silent. I assumed that was because of the Thanksgiving holiday.

-My phone began to ring from interested media sources, wishing to cover my story.

-On Tuesday evening — November 23 — I received a call from Senator Ron Johnson (WI), asking me how he could help. As the minority leader of a Senate J6 investigative committee, he put me in touch with his investigators.

-On Wednesday morning — November 24 — I was contacted by an attorney who practices criminal law in D.C., who happened to be a federal prosecutor for more than 20 years. After a three-hour phone call, I engaged his services.

-On Monday — November 29 — my new attorney reached out to AUSA Eve by both email and phone, and she never responded. We never heard from her or the FBI again . . . until yesterday — August 5, 2023 — more than 20 months later, when my Raleigh attorney received a call from the FBI notifying him that they had “service of process” for me.

-This turns out to be a Grand Jury subpoena, requesting my January 6 videos. My attorney received that on Monday. We have been able to determine the DOJ has reopened its investigation into my January 6 activities. I volunteered to give those to the FBI during my interview in October of ’21, but they never followed up and requested them. The most unfortunate fact is . . . grand juries are not convened to investigate misdemeanor crimes. For unknown reasons, they are apparently considering a felony recommendation to the grand jury. As of this writing, that is all we know.


-Since January 6, 2021, as well as the time since my threatened prosecution, I have been very active in investigating many aspects related to January 6. Something I never expected to be engaged in. I have broken original stories, developed Capitol Police whistleblowers, met with Congress Members, and engaged with congressional staffers and investigators. All of that has been well documented in my blogs.

-In the fall of 2022, I covered every day of the first, nine-week-long Oath Keepers trial, at the District Courthouse in D.C.

-I’ve been interviewed for my work by innumerable media sources — large and small — from Tucker Carlson on Fox News, to reporters with both NBC and the New York Times, to smaller podcasters. I’ve also collaborated on several stories with The Epoch Times, and have been one of a small hand full of journalists who’ve been given access to that “41,000 hours of J6 video” by Speaker McCarthy’s staff. I am just now entering into a “contributor” relationship with Blaze Media.


As I said in the beginning, this is an abbreviated overview of my personal “January 6 story.” I have no idea what the government’s renewed interest is in me or my videos. The only “crime” I committed on January 6 — technically speaking — is to have entered a restricted building. But, so did some 80 to 100 other journalists who have not been charged with any crimes. We all simply followed the story where the story went that day.

It would be easy to speculate that I might be being singled out because I haven’t conformed to the “preferred narrative,” or because of the sensitivity of certain stories I’m currently working on. I simply have no idea, so can’t really go there. Not at least until I see the subpoena on Monday, and we can get some questions answered about the status of my case . . . which went from “Your client will be charged within the week” to total silence from the DOJ for more than a year and a half.

Some say there are “no coincidences” in this particular game . . . but we’ll know more on Monday.

Stay tuned . . .


P.S. I have no idea what they're looking for in my videos. What's so special, that it requires a Grand Jury subpoena? All the good stuff is already posted online:



Read full Article
post photo preview
Tweetstorm Rollout on Secret U.S. Army SpecOps Deployed on January 6
Having no name, this top secret group is referred to as “the activity,” “the unit,” or “orange”

THREAD: Two and 1/2 years ago, in my 2nd article about #Jan6, (Feb. 24, 2021), I revealed a “very high probability that both [Army] ’Special Forces’ operatives and U.S. Marshalls were mixed in with the crowd that entered the Capitol Building.”


10 months later (Jan. 3, 2022) Newsweek confirmed my sourcing with a story headlined, “Secret Commandos with Shoot-to-Kill Authority Were at the Capitol.” saying, “The role that the military played in this highly classified operation is still unknown.”


I have quietly investigated this discovery ever since and eventually revealed my knowledge of a SpecOps group deployed on J6 to be a top-secret SIGINT group from Ft. Belvoir, just outside D.C. (I have no info if this is the same group Newsweek reported.)


I have long been aware of a current member of this “unit” deployed to the Capitol on J6. Late in 2022, I was introduced to a retired member of the same SpecOps group. In short, he was highly impressed with my knowledge of that unit, as they officially . . . “do not exist.”


They may not officially “exist,” but in 2007, British author @MickWSmith revealed the existence and history of this U.S. Army SpecOps group in his book, “Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team”

Unlike the SEALS or Delta Force, this secretive Army team does not have a name. Only their specific operations are given a name, and they are otherwise generally referred to as “the activity,” “the unit,” or “orange.”


My source, who is a retired member of “the unit” does not believe his former group could possibly have been used for any purpose on J6, as it is outside the operational protocols of their mission. Namely, when he was a member, they would never be used for domestic operations.


Also, he says they would never have been “seconded” to @FBI. They have a specific chain of command within the Army hierarchy and are only ever seconded to the CIA in overseas ops. That said, he has been retired from “the unit” for almost a decade.


In my recent interactions with congressional members and staff, I have been informed that they are aware the “the unit” was operational in some capacity on J6, but have been unable to get answers from @DeptofDefense, specifically because they “do not officially exist.”


In recent weeks, trying to get more information, I’ve read another team of special ‘intel’ investigators into my research on this subject. Our most recent discovery is that they have been able to identify another current member of “the unit” who was at the Capitol on J6.


Before I go any further in this narrative, I'll emphasize that I've never implied “the unit” was deployed on J6 for nefarious purposes. In my 1st story, I theorized that they were simply there to “take care of business” should protestors get out of hand, using lethal weapons.


That established, their presence and deployment raises serious questions. Why are military forces being deployed in violation of posse comitatus law? Is it common practice for @DeptofDefense to allow military SpecOps to be used at domestic protest events?


More importantly, if this is not common, and was a one-off operation . . . having “the unit” seconded to @FBI on J6 . . . WHY? What did they know, requiring “the unit's” presence at the Capitol, and what was “the unit’s” “posture” on J6?


We are seeking more information, and answers to those questions, but do not expect to receive those directly from @FBI, @CapitolPolice, (if they even knew), or from @DeptofDefense. But, you may be asking why I’m talking about this without having all the facts nailed down.


My @FBI whistleblowing friends, @KyleSeraphin and @RealStevefriend have advised me that “daylight” is not only the “best disinfectant,” but also the best “protection” when one is hovering this close over the target. 


I don’t have the same covering as that afforded a reliable MSM journalist - as when @FBI had Newsweek’s @warkin release a one-year anniversary CYA story about their deployment of every 3-letter agencies’ tactical teams and military commandos with “shoot to kill” orders on J6.


So . . . I’m letting @FBI and @DeptofDefense know that I’ve now read three other friendly journalists, a team of think tank investigators, and several congressional staffers into the details of this story. “Whacking” me, to stop my work, will probably be counterproductive.


But, they are welcome to reach out to me and answer my questions. (I also have more.) I’m certain they already have my number. 

Stay tuned. More on this, and even more important J6 stories are in the pipeline. 


On Twitter, (or, X):

Read full Article
See More
Available on mobile and TV devices
google store google store app store app store
google store google store app tv store app tv store amazon store amazon store roku store roku store
Powered by Locals